Instructor: Amjad Mohammad
Date and Time: Sundays, Asr to Maghrib starting 04/12/2015
- Alif Baa with DVDs, an Introduction to Arabic Letters and Sounds Third Edition by Brustad, Al-Batal & Al-Tonsi. This book comes with a DVDs that you will use regularly. (we will discuss that in class)
- Recommended: Hans Wehr Dictionary.
- Handouts from the Instructor
- Online listening materials at http://www.arabicclass.com
By the end of Arabic 101 you will, in-shaa’a-llaah:
- have mastered the Arabic alphabet and sound system, be able to distinguish and pronounce all Arabic sounds, and take dictation;
- be able to initiate social interactions, ask for basic information, and be aware of basic cultural aspects of social interaction in the Arab world;
- be able to talk about yourself, your education, and your family with any native speaker of Arabic;
- comprehend simple written texts on familiar topics;
- comprehend simple audio/video texts on familiar topics;
- be able to compose simple paragraphs about yourself; and
- be familiar with some of the differences between formal (standard) and spoken (dialect) Arabic.
Requirements and Grades:
- Regular attendance is required and active participation are required.