NAMCC Iʿtikāf Guidelines
Iʿtikāf refers to going into seclusion in the Masjid for the sole purpose of worshiping Allah swt and attaching oneself and one’s heart to His creator.
Iʿtikāf provides an opportunity to the believer to get closer to Allah by temporarily freeing oneself and one’s mind from the activities and worries of the world.
This provides an excellent opportunity to train oneself to disassociate temporarily from the worries of the world and focus only on Allah alone.
It is also deduced from the various narrations that one of the major objects of Iʿtikāf during Ramadan is to search for Laylatul Qadr (the Night of Power) what better manner can there be than to remain in Ibadah at all times, whether one is awake or asleep, to obtain the reward of the night that is better than 1,000 months (over 83 years) of worship.
Iʿtikāf arrangements will be made during the last ten days of Ramadan at NAMCC
- No food or drinks are allowed inside the Masjid. Water in securely capped bottles is allowed.
- Children regardless of their age are the responsibility of their parents. They must observe the rules at all times and must be supervised by their parents.
- Brothers and Sisters interested in performing Iʿtikāf must register (Mahram is not required during Iʿtikāf)
- The minimum age for Iʿtikāf participants is 16 years. All participants below 16 years of age have to be accompanied by an adult (guardian). If the guardian has to leave the Masjid for any reason, the under 16 participant must accompany him.
- Iʿtikāf and Suhoor will be served at the designated area by Volunteers. This arrangement is strictly for the individuals performing Iʿtikāf.
- All participants must keep the Masjid area clean, including bathroom and shower facilities.
- Everyone is expected to respect other participants, regardless of age and take an extra effort to make the Iʿtikāf a good experience for all.
- All participants acknowledge that they have read the aforementioned rules and agree to be bound by its terms.
- All participants further agrees to indemnify and hold NAMCC / Masjid Aisha , Its administration and staff harmless from any claim, action, liability or expense.
Furthermore, in Iʿtikāf one is free from all daily tasks and thus has all the time to devote to dhikrullah (remembrance of Allah) and meditation.
Jazakum Allahu Khairan
NAMCC, Executive Committee